3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 red pepper, stemmed, seeded, diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (about 6 cloves)
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
1 pound ground beef
¼ cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
¼ cup chili powder (Penzey's makes a great one)
2 tablespoons cumin
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons oregano
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can – 28 oz. – diced tomatoes
1 can – 28 oz. - tomato puree
2 cans -15oz - red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can - 15 oz. - black beans, rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley or cilantro
1. Heat oil in large pot and sauté onion and pepper over medium heat for about 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
2. Add tomato paste, cocoa, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add sausage and cook for 10 minutes and break up sausage. Add ground beef and cook for 10 minutes more, breaking up meat with wooden spoon.
4. Add tomatoes and puree and stir to combine, scraping up any bits that may be stuck to bottom of pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about an hour.
5. Stir in kidney beans. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour longer, until chili is dark, rich and slightly thickened. Adjust seasonings with additional salt to taste. Serve with jack cheese, cilantro, scallions, and sour cream.