For the best banana flavor, make sure to use very dark, very ripe bananas. This bread is super moist and is great toasted and spread with a little cream cheese or almond butter.
Makes 2 loaves
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups (4 large, about 1 pound) mashed ripe bananas
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup walnuts, toasted, cooled and then chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and adjust rack to middle position. Butter and flour 2 medium bread pans or spray with non stick baking spray, set aside
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, a hand-held mixer is helpful for this step.
- Beat in banana, then beat in the eggs. Mixture may look curdled, but don’t worry. Stir in the nuts. Add dry ingredients and stir just until blended, do not overmix.
- Spread evenly into prepared pans. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely