Decadent Low Sugar Lemon Cream Pie
I’m always hesitant to try recipes that claim to be healthier versions of classic desserts, but this one is a winner. Perfect balance of sweet and tart, with a crisp graham cracker crust. It is from the cookbook Naturally Sweet, which has over a hundred recipes for classic baked goods and desserts using 30% to 50% less sugar. Traditional lemon pie has 64 grams of sugar per slice, and this recipe has reduced it to 26 grams without any compromise to flavor or texture.
1 recipe Graham Cracker Pie Crust (Reduced Sugar, see below), baked and cooled
2 large eggs plus 7 large yolks
½ cup honey
¼ cup grated lemon zest plus ⅔ cup juice (about 4 lemons)
⅛ teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Whipped Cream Topping
1½ cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅛ teaspoon salt
Make the Graham Cracker Crust:
9 whole graham crackers, broken into 1-inch pieces
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 5 pieces and softened
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Process graham crackers in food processor to fine, even crumbs, 30 to 60 seconds. Scatter butter over top and pulse until mixture resemble coarse sand, 15 to 20 pulses.
- Sprinkle mixture into 9-inch pie plate. Using bottom of measuring cup, press crumbs firmly into even layer on bottom and sides of pie plate. Bake until crust is fragrant and set, 20 to 22 minutes, rotating plate halfway through baking. Let crust cool completely, about 30 minutes.
For the pie:
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk eggs and yolks, honey, lemon zest and juice, and salt in medium saucepan until smooth. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with rubber spatula, until mixture thickens slightly and registers 165 degrees, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in butter and cream until incorporated. Strain filling through fine-mesh strainer into cooled pie crust. Bake until filling is shiny and opaque and center jiggles slightly when shaken, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let pie cool completely, about 2 hours.
For the topping:
- Using stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip cream, honey, vanilla, and salt on medium-low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form, 1 to 3 minutes. Spread whipped cream over pie and serve.